Several members of the faculty attended the annual Experimental Biology meeting April 18-22 in New Orleans.
- Dr. Robert Hinton presented the 2009 Basmajian Award to Dr. Sam Marquez of City University of New York. Hinton chaired the selection committee for the award, which recognizes health science faculty members who are in the first 10 years of their career.
- Dr. Jayne Reuben co-chaired a session titled “Winning in the granting process—pathology” as part of the American Society of Investigative program.
- Reuben also organized and moderated the Minority Access to Research Careers’ Student Day panel, titled “Combined Ph.D./Professional degree: What’s in it for me?” Dr. Reginald W. Taylor in orthodontics was a presenter on the panel.
The following presentations also were given at the Experimental Biology meeting:
- Lambert HW, Atsas S, Gould DJ, Burke DT, Hutchins RJ. How anatomy is taught to dental students: Results of an ADEA survey to US and Canadian faculty. Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology Journal 23:476.6, 2009.
- Hutchins B, Gray A. An easy method for creating your own interactive educational modules using PowerPoint. FASEB J 23:631.3, 2009.
- Chao MW, Koslosky J, Po IP, Gerecke DR, Svoboda KKH, Laumbach R, Gordon MK. In vitro capillary endothelial tubes as a model system to study cytotoxicity of diesel particles. FASEB J 23:639.1, 2009.
- Yu W, Serrano M, Svoboda KKH. Twist and E47 regulate Snail promoter activity in palatogenesis. FASEB J 23:830.9, 2009.
- DeSantis A, Hahn RA, Beloni J, Schultz G, Heindel N, Svoboda KKH, Babin MC, Gerecke DR, Gordon MK. Healing of corneal wounds induced by vesicants. FASEB J 23:469.2, 2009.
- Serrano MJ, Yu W, Svoboda KKH. Murine genotype alters palatal tissue response to nicotine. FASEB J 23:510.2, 2009.
- San Miguel SM, Li H, Igwe J, Ferrer V, Aguila H, Kalajzic I. Periodontium derived osteoprogenitors isolated from SMA-GFP mice expressed bone and stem cell markers. FASEB J 23: 647.5, 2009.
The following presentations were given at the annual meeting of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology May 3-7 in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.:
- DeSantis AS, Hahn RA, Beloni J, Gerecke DR, Svoboda KKH, Gordon MK. Corneal vesciant injury is ameliorated by matrix metalloproteinase inhibitors. ARVO oral presentation abstract 3064, 2009.
- Quantock AJ, Doutch JJ, Palka BP, Young RD, Petroll WM, Svoboda KKH, Meek KM. Spectrophotometric analysis of avian corneal transparency increasing from embryonic day 12 to day 18. ARVO poster presentation abstract 4525, 2009.
Chang YC, Sabourin CLK, Lu S-E, Sasaki T, Svoboda KKH, Gordon MK, Riley DJ, Casillas RP, Gerecke DR. Upregulation of gamma-2 laminin-332 in the mouse ear vesicant wound model. Journal of Biochemical and Molecular Toxicology 23(2): 172-184, 2009.
Yu W, Ruest LB, Svoboda KKH. Regulation of epithelial-mesenchymal transition in palatal fusion. Experimental Biology and Medicine 234(5):483-91, 2009.
Dr. Jayne Reuben and D2 student Edward Palos attended the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research meeting, “New frontiers in skeletal research: Bone, fat and brain connections,” held April 27-28 in Bethesda, Md. Their attendance was funded by Minority Access to Research Careers travel awards from the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology.
Dr. Bob Hutchins participated in the National Board Examination Part I testlet construction committee April 27-29.